About the project
The Southwest Calgary Ring Road will be built between Highway 8 (near Elbow Springs Golf Course) and Macleod Trail SE. The project includes reconstruction of Glenmore Trail between Sarcee Trail and east of 37 Street SW. The project includes 31 kilometres of six- and eight-lane divided highway, 14 interchanges, one road flyover, one railway crossing (flyover), 47 bridges, one culvert set, one tunnel, and three river crossings over the Elbow River and Fish Creek.
Alberta Transportation has signed an agreement with Mountain View Partners (MVP) to design, build, partially finance and operate the SWCRR project. The design and construction has been contracted to KGL Constructors, a joint venture partnership between Kiewit, Graham and Ledcor.
Preliminary construction began in the summer 2016 and major construction followed in the spring of 2017. The southwest portion of the ring road is expected to be open to traffic in 2021.
For ongoing project information, visit the Construction Updates page.
For background information on the project, please visit the website of Alberta Transportation.
- 9/15/2017:Traffic Advisory – Lane Closures on Spruce Meadows Trail
- :Traffic Advisory – Lane Closure on 101 Street S.W. at Highway 8
- 9/14/2017:Construction Advisory – Pile Driving at the Macleod Trail Interchange [UPDATED]
- 9/12/2017:Traffic Advisory – Haul Crossing at Highway 22X and Macleod Trail S.E.
- 9/10/2017:Traffic Advisory – Girder and Deck Panel Erection at Highway 22X and Macleod Trail S.E.
- 9/5/2017:Traffic Advisory – Realignment of Weaselhead Road [UPDATED]
- 8/29/2017:SWCRR Newsletter – Summer Construction Update
- 8/25/2017:Traffic Advisory – Girder Erection at Highway 22X and Macleod Trail S.E.