About the project
The Southwest Calgary Ring Road will be built between Highway 8 (near Elbow Springs Golf Course) and Macleod Trail SE. The project includes reconstruction of Glenmore Trail between Sarcee Trail and east of 37 Street SW. The project includes 31 kilometres of six- and eight-lane divided highway, 14 interchanges, one road flyover, one railway crossing (flyover), 47 bridges, one culvert set, one tunnel, and three river crossings over the Elbow River and Fish Creek.
Alberta Transportation has signed an agreement with Mountain View Partners (MVP) to design, build, partially finance and operate the SWCRR project. The design and construction has been contracted to KGL Constructors, a joint venture partnership between Kiewit, Graham and Ledcor.
Preliminary construction work began in fall 2016. Major construction will get underway in spring 2017. The southwest portion of the ring road is expected to be open to traffic in 2021.
For ongoing project information, visit the Construction Updates page.
For background information on the project, please visit the website of Alberta Transportation.
- 7/20/2017:Traffic Advisory – Speed Reduction on Westbound Highway 8
- 7/18/2017:Construction Advisory – Pile Driving near 90 Avenue S.W.
- :Closure Notice – Parking area near Cullen Creek (along Highway 8)
- 7/14/2017:Traffic Advisory – 37 Street north of Glenmore Trail S.W.
- 7/11/2017:Traffic Advisory – Shoulder Closures on Eastbound Highway 22X
- 7/9/2017:Traffic Advisory – Four-Way Stop on Lower Springbank Road S.W.
- 7/7/2017:Traffic Advisory – Lane Closure on Eastbound Fish Creek Boulevard
- :Construction Advisory – Asphalt Plant near Highway 8